Friday, March 25, 2011

A Sunny Sunday in Paris: Part 3

Sunday in Paris was perfect from the start; the sun was out!! This photo from my hostel window does not do it justice, but the sky was completely clear and the sun was blazing.


Sunday was much more leisurely compared to our jam-packed Saturday. We ate our croissant breakfast, checked out of our hostel, stored our bags, hopped on the metro, and travelled north to Montmartre.

Although it is part of the city, Montmartre has its own distinct vibe. The little town squares, tiny stores, and village streets make this area a quaint getaway. Well, at least until the bulk of the tourists show up around noon. Movies like Moulin Rouge and Amelie were filmed here, and it was the home to painters like Renoir, Picasso, Van Gogh, and Toulouse-Lautrec. As soon as we exited the metro station, we were greeted by a petting zoo...


...a carousel...


...and charming cobblestone streets.


Montmartre is actually a giant hill, giving it a great view of the city of Paris. The highest point of the hill is marked by the Sacre Coeur basilicaWe trekked up several flights of stairs in order to reach this white, pastry-like castle.


Sacre Coeur
View from Sacre Coeur

View from Sacre Coeur

Good morning Paris!
Besides annoying venders and awe-struck tourists, the stairs by Sacre Coeur were filled with artists and musicians. I caught this guy playing Canon in D on the harp:



We then walked along Boulevard de Rochechourt into the Pigalle area, or Paris's "red light district." This is not quite Lindsay's and my scene; we just wanted to snap pics of the famous Moulin Rouge cabaret.

Moulin Rouge, birthplace of the can-can!
I am a fan of the heartwarming indie film, Amelie. In this French movie starring Audrey Tautou, Amelie works in a cafe in Montmartre. Armed with my Google Map print out, I was able to find the filming location: Les Deux Moulins Brasserie. It wasn't anything particularly special, but it was fun to see the movie tributes on the walls of this busy cafe.



Not in any rush, Lindsay and I continued to stroll around the area. We did a little shopping, restraining ourselves from buying all the delicious smelling biscuits in this sweets store:


A lively outdoor market lined a few of the side streets. Ripe strawberries, dried fruits, mountains of cheese...and are those not the biggest bagels you've ever seen?? (I suppose you can't tell from the pic, but believe me, they were huge.)


By noon, the overwhelming crowds of tourists indicated a good time to leave. Perfect timing since we had lunch plans with Marissa and my friend Peter!

Crowds in Montmartre
The four of us met for lunch at Creperie Jousseline in Montparnasse. The menu options all sounded incredible. There were savory and sweet options, and many customers seemed to be ordering more than one. The waiters just keep bringing back the menu until your stomach has reached crepe capacity.

I ended up ordering a dessert crepe: a sweet pancake with apple puree and vanilla. It was melt-in-your-mouth fantastic, although I think I prefer street stand crepes. Since she has been living in Paris, we let Marissa order for us in French. I loved hearing her easily communicate with our waiter. French is such a beautiful language!

Creperie Jousseline
Marissa and me
Peter and Lindsay
Apple puree and vanilla crepe
After lunch, we chatted and walked through the nearby Cimetiere du Montparnasse. Recognizable figures buried in this famous cemetery include Samuel Beckett and Jean-Paul Sartre. I liked how it was a non-denominational burial area.



I said "see ya later" to Marissa (I saw her again when she was in London for a day a few days later!), and Lindsay and I walked back to our hostel to grab our luggage. We had a little time left before our train, so I was able to meet up with another friend studying in London. Lauren, whose dad has been biffles with my dad since childhood, met us at a cafe near her college. It was fun hearing about her experiences abroad. Dealing with a bit of a time crunch, I downed an omelette while Linds ate her last Croque-Madame. Then it was off to the train station to catch the Eurostar back to London.

Lauren and me
I truly loved Paris. From the nutella-soaked street crepes to Notre Dame's booming bells to the Eiffel Tower's light show, the city's culture completely won me over. I hope to be saying "Bonjour" to Paris again someday soon. I mean, don't I look like I would fit in?



1 comment:

  1. Really very nice and informative blog-content. You have shared information so precisely. Keep sharing it.
    Renovations in Wimbledon

    ReplyDelete