Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Leprechauns in Trafalgar Square

St. Patrick's Day came a bit early this year. On Sunday, my friends and I went to the annual St. Patty's Day Festival in Trafalgar Square.


We walked from the Picadilly Tube Stop, hoping to catch the end of the parade. Unfortunately, we were too late to see the bands, but the performances at Trafalgar in front of the National Gallery were just getting exciting. The area was PACKED with people of all ages dressed in green. Even better, the rain held off.





We watched several groups of Irish step dancers perform. The music was so contagiously upbeat, we couldn't help but do a little Irish jig-ing ourselves.





It was really fun to be around a huge crowd of Londoners all celebrating together. Afterwards, we hoped into the National Portrait Gallery to check out a specific exhibit called, "An Englishman in New York: Photographs by Jason Bell." 


The photographer had taken pictures of prominent individuals born in London but living in New York City. As an American living in London who misses some aspects of life in the States, it was interesting to see what these people missed about England.

Sir Paul Nurse, President of Rockefeller University, said: There are some things that I miss about England, such as the self-deprecating humour. I miss the countryside and I miss strange things like kerbstones, post boxes, even the electric pylons; all things that we take completely for granted and are different somewhere else.

Simon Schama, a Professor at Columbia University, said, I miss the smell of the London pavement after it's just been raining, the parks and of course the buildings which I've never stopped loving. As I live longer in New York, I think of myself as more of an English person.

Guess I'll have to wait at least 6 weeks to find out what I am going to miss about London :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment