Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jet lag? What's that?

No mercy for jet lag on this program; day two started bright and early!

After a 9 AM fire drill, all of the program students headed over to the Royal Geographic Society for a series of academic lectures.
American students taking over the streets of Kensington
We were introduced to all of the program managers and given the usual rules-and-regulations speech. Then chairman Robert Cumming gave his "Tasting the Grand Tour" speech. He lectured about how our study abroad journey follows a long tradition of grand explorations conducted by young Englishmen and women in the 18th and 19th centuries. A white-haired old man with a slow British accent, soft chuckle, and tendency to say "ponder" often, Cumming reminded me of a Hogwarts professor.

For our lunch break, I met up with my friend Lauren and a group of us ended up at a small Italian cafe.
Lauren and Lindsay during our lunch break
Next up was Professor Caroline Donnellan's "London World City" lecture. She spoke about many English landmarks that I am excited to visit: the National Gallery, The British Museum, the Houses of Parliament, Covent Garden, St. Paul's Cathedral, and more.

Lastly, Dr. Richard Weight, a social historian with a stern demeanor ("Stop dithering on your mobiles and pay attention"), lectured on "Modern British Culture." I joke that I came to London to find and marry a prince, but apparently in the late 1800s, that is exactly what was happening; American heiresses came over to England in pursuit of British titles. Some things just don't change. Dr. Weight also spoke about the stars of Britain: the Beatles, Victoria and David Beckham, Oasis...ending his speech with a clip from Love Actually (the part where Hugh Grant stands up to the US President).

After a full day of lectures, I was ready for some downtime. Lindsay and I went to Sainsbury's, the local grocery store. It actually reminds me of Shaw's in Boston. Despite the warnings from all the skeptics, I discovered something wonderful: peanut butter DOES exist in the UK! (Thankfully!)

Gotta have my PB
I whipped up a quick dinner in the kitchen before heading out for the night. Per the suggestion of our ever charismatic program director, Michael Oliver, a large group of program students took our first journey on the London Underground (aka the Tube) and went to a dance party in Soho called Rehab at The Roxy. Best part of riding the tube is the British woman's voice on the loudspeaker saying, "Please mind the gap."
My roommate Jess, Lindsay, and Jina in the Tube station
After a bit of help from an awesome security guard named Castor (and by bit of help I mean personal guided tour), we found The Roxy. It was quite an experience! The night started slow, but soon the place was packed with both American program students and Europeans. Funny enough, they played a lot of American music; I heard Elvis Presley's You Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog at one point.
Rehab at The Roxy
My friend Allie and I at The Roxy
Finally it was time to call it a night. Looking back, the best part of the day was when Lindsay and I were at a crosswalk and she frustratedly yelled, "It would be great if these people didn't drive on the WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET." Belatedly, she noticed a British woman standing behind us, giving us a death stare. The Londoners already love us! ;-)

Random note: A squeaking noise occurs every so often in the corner of my bedroom. Jess is pretty sure it is the heater, although I'm just waiting for a poor trapped mouse to crawl out one day...

Random fact: For every 100 people in the US, there is one security camera watching them. For every 9 people in London, there is one security camera watching them. Talk about Big Brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment