Saturday, February 26, 2011

When in ROME: Day 1

In case the music clip on my Florence post didn't work on your computer, the song was "Mambo Italiano." For my post about Day 1 in Roma, I think the "Love Theme" from The Godfather provides some appropriate background music:



Although I could have spent forever in Florence, Lauren and I had a train to catch to Rome the next morning. We ate our free breakfast at the hostel and then headed over to the Firenze Santa Maria Novella train station. Our train was delayed, but we were able to snag an earlier train and actually arrived in Rome ahead of schedule.

The train ride itself provided a nice view of the Italian landscape. Most importantly, I was excited to see the sun finally break through the clouds!

Train ride to Rome
Sun!
We arrived at the bustling Termini Train Station around noon, purchased bus tickets, and attempted to find our way to our hostel on public transportation. Although Hostel Lodi turned out to be a fine hostel, it was a good 40 minutes away from the actual city part of Rome and a 15 minute walk to the nearest metro stop. I was rather bummed about this fact, but ultimately the distance thing wasn't so terrible. In fact, it let me see another part of Rome--a more residential, tourist-less area--that I might not have otherwise seen.

After dropping off our bags, we hopped on the metro (which was surprisingly clean and efficient) and headed to a whole new country: Vatican City.

In case you forgot, Vatican City is actually it's own country, with a population of just one: the Pope (not really, but it is fun to think of it that way). Fortunately, there's no passport check to enter. It was drizzling as we walked around St. Peter's Square, but it was neat to see the impressive basilica and obelisk.







The inside of the basilica was gorgeous. The huge space was decorated with ornate, high ceilings and sculptures of past popes. Although I didn't have much of a personal interest in visiting one of the holiest Catholic sites, the beauty of the architecture was certainly not lost on me. 






The basilica also houses Michaelangelo's Pieta. Fun fact: this sculpture is the only piece that Michaelangelo ever signed.

Pieta
Next we headed over to the Vatican Museum. We walked briskly to this next stop since we were anxious to see the Sistine Chapel!


In order to get to the Sistine Chapel, we first had to walk through a series of hallways. One of these was the Gallery of Maps, containing 40 topographical maps of Italy.



These galleries were interesting, but nothing could compare to our final destination. When we first entered the room, my eyes had not adjusted to the dim lighting. A quick glance around made me think we were not at the Sistine Chapel yet. Then I looked up and was overcome with speechlessness. I truly cannot put into words the beauty of this room. Michaelangelo's frescos on the ceiling were so rich in color and depth. Having created paintings myself, the amount of time it took to depict so many perfect bodies is unfathomable to me. The works appeared to be popping off the panels. The walls were also covered with such vivid portrait work, displaying Biblical stories.

Taking pictures of the Sistine Chapel was a big no-no. There were Mafia-looking guards situated around the room, and as soon as they noticed someone taking a picture, they bee-lined to the individual and watched as they deleted the photos off their camera.

Of course, I took this as a challenge, and managed to get a pretty good snapshot of the chapel if I do say so myself. The trick is to keep your camera in your bag and point it up at the ceiling without the flash. Please don't turn me in to the Italian authorities!

My illegal photo of the Sistine Chapel
We were satisfied with our time in Vatican City after seeing the Sistine Chapel. A last glance around the area made me realize that the Pope has it pretty good--lush trees and majestic buildings. Not a bad pad, eh?




Lauren and I wandered a bit around the streets of Rome afterward. I was mesmerized by all the different pastas sold in a local food shop. If only I had more room in my suit case, I would have stocked up on all the different types and colors.

Pasta paradise
Colorful pasta
The shop also had a coffee and pastries bar. As I searched for my typical cannoli, another treat distracted me: Sfogliatelle Napoletane, or the infamous Lobster Tail pastry. My good friend Buddy, host of TLC's show Cake Boss, told me I should give these babies a try. (Okay fine, I just met him once at a book signing, but he really did tell me that Lobster Tails are delicious!) Every time I go to Mike's Pastry in Boston, I chicken out of trying the sfogliatelle because I'm a sucker for cannoli. But hey, when in Rome...


The powder sugar on the pastry exploded into a white puff every time I took a bite. I tried to capture it on film, but this particular bite didn't yield much of a puff. Regardless, doesn't it look scrumptious? IT WAS! The super thin dough was crunchy, and the cream inside was thick and sugary. I still dream about this sfogliatelle. You MUST give it a try sometime, although I can't promise it will live up to my Roman one.


We had plans to meet up with our friends Allie and Emily from our BU Program who were also spending their spring break in Rome. Before finding them, Lauren and I made a stop at the Trevi Fountain.
Blue skies while walking to the fountain
As probably the most famous fountain in the world, this landmark lived up to my expectations. I engaged in the tradition of tossing a coin over my shoulder into the fountain, which is supposed to ensure that I will return to Rome one day.



Lauren decided to grab a cone at one of the many gelato shops surrounding the fountain. Not wanting to ruin my dinner, I declined a cone, but the kind gelateria owner insisted that I at least try one of the flavors. This bite of pistachio was mm-mm-good.

Bit of pistachio gelato
We met up with our friends and ate dinner at Carbonara. The waiters barely spoke English and the menu was entirely in Italian, so we knew it was a legit joint. I ordered "Spaghetti Schiue schiue," which contained "pomodoro pachino fresco, prezzemolo, profumo di aglio e peperoncino"...basically pasta with oil, cheese, spice, and tomatoes. Once again, a wonderful Italian meal.

Allie and me with our schiue schiue
Dinner was followed by a nighttime trip to the Trevi Fountain. With the lighting, the fountain was even more beautiful in the evening.

The Trevi at night
The girls in front of the Trevi
We decided to check out Roman nightlife by heading over to Campo de' Fiore, known for its lively bars and restaurants. The place we went to seemed filled with American tourists, so Lauren and I ended up heading back to our hostel earlier than the rest of the group. Besides, we had to rest up for day 2 in Rome, which included a trip to the ANCIENT CITY!


No comments:

Post a Comment