Monday, February 7, 2011

Hipsters and Horses

Where in the world is Jenny? Camden Market!


Going to markets is quickly becoming one of my favorite activities in London. Camden Market was like no place I've ever seen before! With about 100,000 visitors every weekend, this market is one of London's top attractions. This weekend was no exception; this huge marketplace was PACKED!


So many visitors!
I visited Camden Market on Sunday with my friends Lauren, Jeremy, and Lauren's British friend Karla. Despite living 1.5 hours outside of London in Warwick, Karla had never been to Camden Market before, so she was just as excited as us Americans to visit this London landmark.

Karla and me
The entire place felt so hip and alive. There was such a richness to the amount of goods and services available. From discounted dresses to tattoo stands, from new gadgets to vintage clocks, there was a little taste of everything.

Cool store facades
Rainboots...I mean, wellies! 


Necessary.
Of course, no market is complete without an abundance of food stands. There was Indian food, Chinese food, pizza and calzones, crepes, burgers, paella, chocolates, and more.






This guy was making ice cream using liquid nitrogen
In one section of the food stalls, there is seating available for hungry visitors. These were no ordinary chairs though. Motorcycle parts were used for seats! So creative.


Regent's Canal actually runs through Camden Town, so the four of us ate our food while sitting by the water.

Regent's Canal
The boat had my name on it!
Jeremy and me by the water
The classic foot shot, just for you Faja
Just when I thought the market couldn't get any cooler, we wandered into the Stables Market section (appropriately decorated with several statues of horses).



As the name suggests, Stables Market consists of stalls formerly used for horses that are now used to house the different vendors.




Surprisingly enough, I didn't buy anything at Camden besides my lunch food. I was so overwhelmed and content with just taking it all in. However, I definitely plan to visit this market again soon.

See ya later Camden
Fun fact: The British paper money is called pounds and the coins are called pence, but Karla taught me an additional word for money this weekend. You can also refer to a pound as a "quid." It's like referring to dollars as "bucks." I'm just becoming more British by the minute :)

No comments:

Post a Comment