Friday, February 4, 2011

PRAGUE Day 3

The boys took an early flight out of Prague, so Sunday was girls' day. After breakfast, we packed up our belongings. Since check-out was at 11 AM and we didn't bring any combination locks, we had to carry our stuff around with us all day. Luckily, no one's backpack was too heavy.

Just backpacking through Europe
I really wanted to do a self-guided tour of the Jewish Quarters (Josefov), and luckily Lindsay and Lauren were willing and happy to join. The buildings are closed on Shabbat, so there was quite a large group of people in line to get tickets on Sunday.

Shabbat Shalom!
Clock on Old Jewish Town Hall
Our pass allowed us to see the Pinkas Synagoge, Old Jewish Cemetary, Klaus Synagogue, Ceremonial Hall, Maisel Synagogue, and Spanish Synagogue.

The Pinkas Synagogue is now a memorial to victims of the Holocaust. Names of 77,297 Jewish Czechoslovakian victims are written on the temple's walls. It was quite overwhelming to take in. I actually saw some names that reminded me of my own last name.

The Pinkas Synagogue
Memorial in the Pinkas Synagogue 
Names of Holocaust victims
More names...
"Iscovic"
"Isakoviczova"
Next we walked through Europe's oldest surviving Jewish cemetery. The Jews in the ghetto were allotted a very limited amount of space for burials, so the graves are actually stacked on top of eachother. The cemetery therefore consists of about 12 layers and 100,000 bodies.

Old Jewish Cemetery


The Klaus Synagogue contains Jewish artifacts and cultural items. There were prayer books, dishes, kippahs, menorahs, tallit, kiddush cups, and other familiar things from everyday Jewish life and holidays...





Klausen Synagogue's ark
Klausen Synagogue ceiling
The Maisel Synagogue displayed a collection of Jewish silver, textiles, books, prints, and more. Disturbingly, the Nazis actually kept these items in Prague with the intention of one day housing them in a museum dedicated to a people they planned on wiping out. The fact is chilling, but makes me even prouder to be descended from survivors of the Holocaust. Instead, these displayed items honor a group that had the faith and resilience to continue on after the war.

Maisel Synagogue

The last stop was the gorgeous Spanish Synagogue. It was built in 1868, then ruined under the Nazi and Communist regimes, and finally restored and reopened in 1998. It reflects the traditions of the Moors and Jews exiled from Spain in 1942, hence the exquisite interior design style...

Spanish Synagogue
Spanish Synagogue
Spanish Synagogue's ark
Ceiling of Spanish Synagogue

Once we finished in the Jewish Quarters, we grabbed some pizza at a nearby Italian cafe. It was my first slice of pizza in Europe since I have been trying to wait until I visit the birthplace of pizza (Naples) to eat it, but when you're hungry, you're hungry!

We swung back through Old Town Square to pick up a couple souvenirs from our trip. At 4:30, a driver picked us up from the hostel and took us back to PRAHA airport. Their system of airport security was pretty interesting; instead of going through security before entering your gate/way before your flight boards, you sit at the gate and go through security right before you get on the plane. It actually seemed to make the whole process easier. Take note, America?

Funny story: when we arrived in Prague, the man at customs (who did not look to be the happiest person) never actually stamped my passport. I was bummed, but apparently not having the stamp is actually a big deal. When I went to catch my return flight, the security almost wouldn't let me through! After a few phone calls and some nice smiling on my part, they let me exit. Phew. I now have a stamp on my passport that says I left the Czech Republic, but no evidence that I ever entered. Perhaps I magically teleported into the country?

Overall, I do not think I could have had a better time in Prague. The city was absolutely beautiful, and the experience makes me realize even more that the world is such a big and vibrant place.

Bye Prague!
So, have I convinced any of you to go visit the Czech Republic's capital?

No comments:

Post a Comment